SHOW NOTES: Episode 30
Should your blog be trademarked? These are the things that we don’t always want to think about but realizing how important it is can help. Our guest today, Whitney Bower, is an intellectual property lawyer who specializes in trademark and copyright. She has made it her mission to help the social media entrepreneurs, including bloggers.
Whitney talks with us about how bloggers first need to start at the beginning and think about how big their blog can be and how they should take themselves seriously from the beginning. She explains that you should dream about what your blog can look like and then set up your trademark so that when your blog is big one day, it is already protected.
Whitney shares why bloggers need to be trademarked, how to find out if your blog name is already taken, when we should start the application process (the earlier the better), how long it takes to become trademarked, intent to use (ITU) filing, the risks of not being trademarked, and how you can go about getting a trademark.
Whitney shares valuable information with you that you can benefit from. She shares how you can work with her (one on one or through her course) in order to be sure that your brand/blog is trademarked.
We loved having this conversation with Whitney about trademarks. Send us a DM on Instagram and let us know what you thought about this episode! @sparkmediaconcepts
IN THIS EPISODE, WE COVERED:
- Why bloggers need to be trademarked
- How to find out if your blog name is already taken
- When we should start the application process (the earlier the better)
- How long it takes to become trademarked
- Intent to use (ITU) filing
- The risks of not being trademarked
- How you can go about getting a trademark
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Connect with Whitney on Instagram: @thewhitneybower
- Check out Whitney’s course, Social to Mogul (launching July 15).
- TESS – US PTO
- If you need questions answered before you start your blog, check out The Blog Depot, an online course and membership community!
- Check out last week’s episode with Jamie Lieberman on the legal side of having a blog.
- Connect with us on Instagram at: @sparkmediaconcepts
MORE ABOUT THE ULTIMATE BLOG PODCAST:
Welcome to The Ultimate Blog Podcast! This podcast is for you if you’ve ever wanted to learn blogging basics so that you can start your own blog or if you have been a blogger for years but are struggling to grow or need inspiration and community.
Every Tuesday we will be sharing a new episode where we will cover topics from the basics of starting a blog, monetizing and growing your site, to finding the inspiration you need to keep going. You will also find guest interviews with experts on different blogging topics as well as interviews with bloggers who’ve been in your shoes.
Amy Reinecke and Jennifer Draper are bloggers themselves who want to encourage you to believe in your potential, step outside the norm and step into a life where you create your own schedule, your own success and your own story.
We’d love to connect with you on our other platforms so please visit us at www.sparkmediaconcepts.com or follow us on Instagram at @sparkmediaconcepts
This post about why your blog should be trademarked may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, the hosts or guests of this podcast will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.