SHOW NOTES: Episode 84
Are you wanting to niche down into a DIY, home and garden blogger?
Today, we are joined by Jennifer Howard to shed some light on the home and garden niche in blogging. Jennifer is the creator of the home & garden blog Cottage On Bunker Hill. She teaches her readers how to create a beautiful home on a budget by finding knock-off looks, DIYing, & upcycling thrift store finds.
On today’s episode, Jennifer starts off by sharing her story of how she started a home and garden blog a few years ago to express her creativity and love for decorating. She talks about how she grew her blog over the course of a few years and shares several ways she was able to grow her blog.
Those tips include:
- Finding a community of other bloggers so you can work together to help each other grow your blogging businesses
- Using Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to get more pageviews
- Building affiliate income by including links to products in your blog
- Staying consistent with your blog posts
- Keeping up with the trends in your niche
- Utilizing keyword research when you are writing your blogs
- Utilizing Google Web Stories
- Focusing on growing your email list to gain subscribers
- Using Pinterest to bring traffic to your site
- Utilizing social media such as Instagram and Facebook
Jennifer shares about some tools that can be used in order to find out what people want to have in their home, why it is important to identify a specific target audience, and how blogging is a continuous learning process as new trends come around. We also talk about focusing on where your biggest return on investments are to grow your blog because some areas such as social media might work for others but it may not work for you, why you should be open to pivoting your focus when something doesn’t work, and why you shouldn’t put all of your eggs into one basket so you can have more than one area that provides a return on investment.
Our hope is that you realize you can actually start a business and create an income by blogging. It’s a marathon, not a sprint and you aren’t going to become an overnight success. You do need to put your time and effort into blogging but it is definitely possible to make this a full time career.
This was a great conversation with Jennifer and we hope you feel inspired listening to it!
Let’s continue the conversation over on Instagram (@sparkmediaconcepts). We’d love to hear from you!
IN THIS EPISODE, WE COVERED:
- Niching down into home and garden blogging
- Tips for growing your blog
- Tools that can be used in order to find out what people want to have in their home
- Why it is important to identify a specific target audience
- How blogging is a continuous learning process as new trends come around
- Focusing on where your biggest return on investments are to grow your blog
- Why you should be open to pivoting your focus when something doesn’t work
- Why you shouldn’t put all of your eggs into one basket so you can have more than one area that provides a return on investment
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
- Connect with Jennifer on Instagram @cottage_on_bunker_hill, on Facebook: facebook.com/cottageonbunkerhill, on her blog cottageonbunkerhill.com, or shoot her an email email@example.com
- Check out Cooking with Keywords & Blogging with Keywords HERE!
- 3 bonus episodes on the private podcast! Click here and put in your name and email address to check them out!
- Join the Ultimate Blog Bootcamp!
- Check out the Blog Depot!
- Check out last week’s episode here!
- Connect with us on Instagram at: @sparkmediaconcepts
MORE ABOUT THE ULTIMATE BLOG PODCAST:
Welcome to The Ultimate Blog Podcast! This podcast is for you if you’ve ever wanted to learn blogging basics so that you can start your own blog or if you have been a blogger for years but are struggling to grow or need inspiration and community.
Every Tuesday we will be sharing a new episode where we will cover topics from the basics of starting a blog, monetizing and growing your site, to finding the inspiration you need to keep going. You will also find guest interviews with experts on different blogging topics as well as interviews with bloggers who’ve been in your shoes.
Amy Reinecke and Jennifer Draper are bloggers themselves who want to encourage you to believe in your potential, step outside the norm and step into a life where you create your own schedule, your own success and your own story.
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and make a purchase, the hosts or guests of this podcast will receive a commission at no additional cost to you.